As you are aware, a new strain of the novel coronaviruses, COVID-19, has been found in just a few people in Oregon. The State of Oregon, county health authorities and South Lane School District are all closely monitoring the situation. We are monitoring updates from the Oregon Health Authority and Lane County Health Department.
At this point in time, we are operating South Lane Schools as usual. We will notify you if we find it necessary to take more precautionary measures.
What we know about COVID-19:
- Washing hands often and thoroughly is the best prevention.
- Public health officials say that based on the history of the virus, few are likely to need medical care. Those most at-risk are older adults, and people with compromised immune systems.
- The virus is spread mainly from person-to-person.
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
- Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
- The main symptoms of COVID-19 are cough, fever and shortness of breath. If your child merely has a runny nose, your child may attend school.
If your child is sick:
- If your child is sick with a fever (above 100.4°) and/or cold/flu symptoms, please keep them home until they are without a fever for 24 hours (without fever reducing medicines).
What we suggest:
- Help stop the spread of germs
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue (or the elbow of your sleeve) and then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that are often touched
- Stay home if you’re sick.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Take care of your health overall. Staying current on your vaccinations, including flu vaccine, eating well and exercising all help your body stay resilient
- Establish a child care plan, just in case your student needs to stay home sick.
- Sign up and download the Flash Alert App for instantaneous information for all South Lane Schools.
- Check in with SLSD’s coronavirus webpage for more resources and information.
Reliable sources of information about COVID-19: